[yocto] SUSE SLES target OS

Gunnar Andersson gandersson at genivi.org
Mon Oct 22 06:09:43 PDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-10-19 at 17:43 -0400, Joe Flowers wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately, I mean SLES.
>
> Your answer implies that to create a minimal SLES build I will have to
> abandon Yocto and look for another build (or reduction) solution as I know
> this has been done by non-SUSE entities.

Hmm...  Very interesting, but strange... but interesting... question.  Makes
me wonder why you are so set on building SLES for an embedded board?
But that's not for me to second-guess.  :-)

As pointed out the family of OpenEmbedded-based systems provide their own
set of build recipes ("layers") and several different reference
distributions (with appropriate patches and so on).

For source availability, I liked the analogy with building RHEL vs Fedora,
although on that side CentOS source distribution is available as a very
close duplicate of RHEL.  If you wanted to do something similar to meta-
debian what basis were you thinking of using in order to create your own
SLES if not OpenSUSE?  (Actually answering that would veer the thread off-
topic for the list I imagine, I'm just curious).

Related to the topic, the only similar ideas that I have seen floated in the
past involved using Debian source code with OE/Yocto build system.  I
suppose the idea for that would be that you have a strong handling of
security updates a compatible basic distro and of course a very large amount
of packages.

I still think it's a fairly strange approach since building Debian using
Debian tooling might suffice in that case (e.g. [2]).  You might get a bit
of a larger ecosystem of available BSPs in OpenEmbedded/Yocto environment
and a few additional embedded-targeted components (but a lot are built
with fairly standard setups like cmake anyway).  It wasn't clear if you need
a lot of different hardwares or just any board like minnowboard.

I was going to link the meta-debian layer, but it seems the Linutronix
slides cover this and more alternatives, so (for those interested in the
Debian/Yocto idea I mean) just start with that slide deck (and search
GitHub).

[1] https://linutronix.de/en/open-source/vortraege.php (look for slides &
video)
[2] https://apertis.org (not Yocto)