[yocto] Python-tkinter

Tim Orling ticotimo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 17:38:28 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 4:09 PM nishant poorswani <nishantpoorswani at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey. I want to add python-tkinter into my image.
> I've added in my local.conf . When I try to use it I cannot import Tkinter
> into my code. Can anyone help with this? I get an error If this fails
> Python may not be configured properly. ImportError: No module named
> _tkinter. Any help would be appreciated.
> --

The reason is that tk is not in oe-core (even though tcl is), so the
_tkinter python extension (compiled c code) is disabled.[1]

If you would file a bug [2] for this I’ll take a crack at a fix in 2.7
cycle as tkinter is useful for matlab that I’ve been working on. Component
should be “core”.

[1]
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/python/python3/avoid_warning_about_tkinter.patch#n23

[2] https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/