[yocto] Installing linux image with two separate flash partitions

A aaron.biver at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:40:15 PDT 2018

I'm currently using petalinux to build a image.ub that works fine for me so
far (petalinux hides many things from me, but is bitbake under the hood).

However, this image will get stored into a flash device which I intend to
configure with three partitions
1) uboot
2) linux
3) an extra jffs2 with data and executables from my linux recipes

I currently build this third partition manually with mkfs.jffs2, after my
bitbake recipe has completed.
However, since the openembedded framework is pretty nifty and extensible,
I'd like to be able to have this in a recipe.

So far, I've thought to store the things for partition #3 in a STAGING_*
area, and create a new recipe that will DEPEND on those other recipes.  The
new recipe will do a mkfs.jffs2 command in its do_compile().  Then I would
find that jffs file in the build subdirectories somewhere, and assemble it
into the larger image for insertion into the flash device.

However, a) I'm not sure if this is the best way do do this, and b) I have
a "DEPEND" statement, but the "do_stage()" function of the dependency still
doesn't appear to have been invoked.

All advice welcome.

-Aaron