[yocto] Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Wed Nov 28 04:52:56 PST 2018

hey,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:42 PM Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What can you not do with Yocto's git repositories?
>
> Please, refer to my initial email. Not referring to Poky, I guess, the
> Poky repo is equivalent to kernel.org. In other words, everything with
> it can be done with git tool.
>
> I am referring to many others, associated with github. Maybe it is
> ONLY github, which does not support git tool in full extend.

as others said before, meta-bbb is a proper git tree. and for obvious
reasons, github is definitely a decent git service provider.

> So, as I said/wrote in the initial email. The concrete meta-bbb does
> not support git tag, git describe.

The problem you are seeing is that no git tag have been pushed to
meta-bbb, but that doesn't make meta-bbb an invalid git repo, or an
invalid OpenEmbedded layer. What we expect from OE layer is to provide
branches which track the oe-core repo (e.g. master, thud, sumo, ...),
but there is no requirement for tags.

> Once I have no tags, I could not do anything with git log. And... You
> can imagine.

Actually, no, I do not imagine. git log will work, with or without
tags. Git log will go through the history of commits, and it doesn't
need tag. Git tags are optional references that can be "attached" to
commits.

> Sorry for creating waves. No intent to offend anybody. Just a (strong) thought.
>
> I guess, github has some significant problems supporting completely
> git tool. Since I see that gitlab does support it (after reading, I
> assume this is done for gitlab in full extend).

This is not correct. I hope the clarifications above would be helpful.
github definitely supports git very well, so does gitlab.