[yocto] Inconsistent kernel builds with custom defconfig

Corrin Meyer Corrin.Meyer at dornerworks.com
Wed Nov 14 07:38:55 PST 2018

I am trying to build a Linux kernel with a custom defconfig and am getting inconsistent builds.  On a fresh/new run of "bitbake virtual/kernel" I get an incorrect kernel (zImage is ~1.1M in size).  If I then do a "bitbake -c cleanall virtual/kernel" and then rerun "bitbake virtual/kernel" I get a good kernel (zImage is ~4.6M).  I am using Yocto Sumo and standard Poky from git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git and only my custom kernel recipe and machine via a custom meta layer.

My meta layer can be found at https://gitlab.com/cjmeyer/meta-socfpga and the builds I am running target the "arria10" machine.  The defconfig I am using in the recipe is generated using "ARCH=arm make socfpga_defconfig" with the same Kernel sources being used in the recipe.  I then copy the generated ".config" file to my "defconfing" in my kernel recipe.

To reproduce the bad zImage after a successful run, I delete all files and directories from the Yocto build directory except for the "conf" directory.  After doing this, rerunning "bitbake virtual/kernel" results in a bad zImage again (~1.1M in size).  Comparing the ".config" in the kernel build directory in my Yocto build directory after a bad zImage is generated shows many, many differences to the defconfig from the recipe (I used a diff tool that understands kernel config files so it diffed the config, next the text).

This leads me to believe that the configuration steps in my builds are not running consistently or correctly but I am not sure why.

cmeyer