[yocto] [RFC] Yocto Autobuilder and LAVA Integration

Anibal Limon anibal.limon at linaro.org
Fri Nov 9 12:59:04 PST 2018

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 at 20:49, Chan, Aaron Chun Yew <
aaron.chun.yew.chan at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Anibal/RP,
>
> > In order to do a distributed Boards testing the Yocto Autobuilder
> > needs to publish in some place accessible the artifacts (image,
> > kernel, etc) to flash/boot the board and the test suite expected to
> > execute.
>
> [Reply] That is correct, since Linaro have this in place to use
> https://archive.validation.linaro.org/directories/ and I have look into
> this as well, we can leverage on this
>               but I am up for any suggestion you might have. So the idea
> here is that we have a placeholder to store the publish artifacts remotely
> and deploy using
>               native curl command with token access. Then based on your
> LAVA job definitions we can instruct LAVA to source the images via https.
>               Having said that, the deploy stage in LAVA must have some
> capabilities to read a token file in the LAVA job defintion and pick up the
> binaries from public repo (git LFS).
>
>               In order for Board Distributed Tests to happen, there are 2
> items in my wish lists
>
>               1. Public hosting of binary repository - with access control

For publish the artifacts (Rootfs, Kernel image, Test suite), if there is a
public build a token isn't needed like targeting some boards already
commercialized and can be published anywhere like in
http://downloads.yoctoproject.org.

>               2. Ease Handshaking between two(2) different systems CI
> (e.g. Jenkins/Autobuilder) with LAVA
>                    a. Exchange build property (metadata) - includes
> hardware info, system info

You can add meta-data to a LAVA test definition.

                   b. Test reporting results

For notify job results LAVA test definition support the notify block in
test jobs or you can poll the API using for both needs a LAVA token.

> > I created a simple LAVA test definition that allows run testimage
> > (oe-test runtime) in my own LAVA LAB, is very simplistic only has a
> > regex to parse results and uses lava-target-ip and lava-echo-ipv4 to
> > get target and server IP addresses.
>
> [Reply] Although the lava test shell have these capabilities to use
> lava-target-ip or/and lava-echo-ipv4 this only works within LAVA scope, the
> way we retrieve the Ipv4
>               address is reading the logs from LAVA thru XML-RPC and grep
> the pattern matching string which contains IP even before the HW get
> initialize entirely then parse
>               IP back to the Yocto Autobuilder.
>

> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-autobuilder-helper/tree/lava/trigger-lava-jobs

Yes, that's my idea the Yocto Autobuilder dosen't need to know about
particular network configuration in tha LAVA server for execute the job, in
this way the Yocto Autobuilder can communicate with LAVA server to retrieve
the testing job results, and in a case that needs to debug the board LAVA
support hacking sessions to allow connect to the board outside the LAB.

https://validation.linaro.org/static/docs/v2/hacking-session.html

> > Some of the tasks, I identified,  (if is accepted)
> >
> > - Yocto-aubuilder-helper: Implement/adapt to cover this new behavior ,
> > move the EXTRA_PLAIN_CMDS to a class.
> > - Poky/OE: Review/fix test-export or provide other mechanism to export
> > the test suite. > - Poky/OE: Review/fix test-export or provide other
> mechanism to export
> > the test suite.
>
> [Reply] I would like to understand further what is the implementation here
> and how it addresses the problems that we have today. I believe in the
> past, Tim has tried
>               to enable testexport and transfer the testexport into the
> DUT but it was not very successful and we found breakage.

Agree, The testexport functionality is on not usage so there are some bugs
on it.

> > -  Yocto-aubuilder-helper: Create a better approach to re-use LAVA job
> > templates across boards.
>
> [Reply] I couldn’t be more supportive on this having a common LAVA job
> template across boards but I would like to stress this, we don’t exactly
> know how
>               community will define their own LAVA job definition,
> therefore what I had in mind as per today is to create a placeholde where
> LAVA job templates
>               can be define and other boards/community can reuse the same
> template if it fits their use cases. In general the templates we have today
> are
>               created to fit into Yocto Project use cases.

Agree, I not mean a single template but a manner to add easily new LAVA
templates for boards in Yocto Autobuilder, this involves some base LAVA job
templates and a set of scripts to
generate the final template, like you are doing. For example there are
different ways to deploy a board but the login process is the same for
core-image's (login as root wo passwd).

Cheers,
Anibal