[yocto] [RFC] Yocto Autobuilder and LAVA Integration

Anibal Limon anibal.limon at linaro.org
Wed Nov 7 14:25:48 PST 2018

Hi,

We know the need to execute OE testimage over real HW not only QEMU,

I'm aware that currently there is an implementation on the Yocto
Autobuilder Helper
, this initial implementation looks pretty well separating parts for
template generation [1] and the script to send jobs to LAVA [2].

There are some limitations.

- Requires that the boards are accessible trough SSH (same network?) by the
Autobuilder, so no distributed LAB testing.
- LAVA doesn't know about test results because the execution is injected
via SSH.

In order to do a distributed Boards testing the Yocto Autobuilder needs to
publish in some place accessible the artifacts (image, kernel, etc) to
flash/boot the board and the test suite expected to execute.

Currently there is a functionality called testexport (not too
used/maintained) that allows you to export the test suite.

I created a simple LAVA test definition that allows run testimage (oe-test
runtime) in my own LAVA LAB, is very simplistic only has a regex to parse
results and uses lava-target-ip and lava-echo-ipv4 to get target and server
IP addresses.

In this way the LAVA server handles all the testing and finally the Yocto
Autobuilder can get/poll an event to know what was the actual result of the
job and the job could be send to different LAVA LAB's.

Some of the tasks, I identified,  (if is accepted)

- Yocto-aubuilder-helper: Implement/adapt to cover this new behavior , move
the EXTRA_PLAIN_CMDS to a class.
-  Yocto-aubuilder-helper: Create a better approach to re-use LAVA job
templates across boards.
- Poky/OE: Review/fix test-export or provide other mechanism to export the
test suite.

Cheers,
Anibal

[1]