[yocto] [OE-core] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019

Jon Mason jdmason at kudzu.us
Thu Nov 1 12:56:43 PDT 2018

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:04 AM Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Fellow YP/OE Enthusiasts!
>
> There were discussions at our recent OEDEM regarding:
> - our next developers meeting
> - SCaLE 2019
> - expanding/adding to the YP/OE presence at conferences (i.e. our own
>   miniconf?)
>
> Please see time indices: 12:13 and 16:45
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YDAHjIOXCIgvSZVOKCYLxa8h26dkruX8zspoge7zCpk
>
> Unfortunately, although lots of opinions were expressed, nothing concrete was
> decided. Many people pointed out that their travel budgets are already
> strained or maxed out, so adding another conference would be difficult if not
> impossible. It's unclear how many "core" YP/OE people might show up at next
> year's SCaLE. Also, given that this year's ELC scheduling hiccup is a one-off,
> maybe it doesn't make as much sense to put in all the work required to run an
> OEDAM at SCaLE if it's only ever going to happen once. Therefore I think I can
> safely say the organizing committee for YP/OE Things at SCaLE 2019 is leaning
> towards not running an OEDAM.
>
> It's not too late to change our plans. If a large number of core people reply
> to this email saying they want and OEDAM in March and will be available in
> Pasadena, then we could accommodate it. It's just that we didn't leave
> Edinburgh with the feeling that an OEDAM at SCaLE was feasible. Also, at this
> point SCaLE isn't on the radars of many of the core YP/OE people, and
> currently the conference tends to attract users rather than developers (or so
> is my impression).
>
> Thoughts?

I am planning on being at SCaLE (assuming the OEDEM happens there).

Many corporate travel budgets are tied to presenting at conferences.
So, if we could somehow get a track there (which might be too late in
the game to do now), then we might be able to get enough people
present to make it happen and pull in others whose budget is more
flexible.

Thanks,
Jon