[yocto] Chicken or the Egg Problem with Images

Schmitt, Richard Richard.Schmitt at commscope.com
Thu May 24 17:20:19 PDT 2018

I’m building a linux image with an initramfs and a secure root file system using a dmverity hash table.  I want to include the dmverity root hash in the initramfs.  When building a yocto image, say core-image-minimal, with an initramfs, the initramfs is built before the core-image-minimal image is deployed.  What I would like is a build order like:

Desired: bitbake core-image-minimal

  1.  build all rootfs packages
  2.  deploy the rootfs
  3.  build the initramfs
  4.  build the kernel
  5.  build the fitimage

Observed: bitbake core-image-minimal

  1.  build all rootfs packages
  2.  build the initramfs
  3.  build the kernel
  4.  deploy the rootfs
  5.  build the fitimage

If the initramfs is built before the rootfs is deployed, I cannot include the root hash in the initramfs image.

I’m hoping someone can tell me a better way.

Thanks
Rich