[yocto] TEST_IMAGE issues

Mirza Krak mirza at mkrak.org
Fri May 18 04:44:18 PDT 2018

Hi all!

Found something interesting (perhaps).

So we where thinking about enabling some of the OE QA tests that that
are part of poky.

Seemed pretty straight forward. Added following to local.conf:

    INHERIT += "testimage"

Build my image and then tried to run:

    bitbake -c testimage <image name>

To my despair it did not work and instead produced an error. Tried
both on "pyro" and "rocko" branches. The error was:

    | runqemu started, pid is 45087
    | NOTE: runqemu started, pid is 45087
    | waiting at most 60 seconds for qemu pid
    | NOTE: waiting at most 60 seconds for qemu pid
    | runqemu exited with code 1
    | NOTE: runqemu exited with code 1
    | Output from runqemu:
    | runqemu - ERROR - Unknown path arg
<masked>/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86-64/genivi-dev-platform-qemux86-64.ext4
    | runqemu - ERROR - Try 'runqemu help' on how to use it

Some (a lot) digging later, I finally figured out that error occurs
because the image name does not contain "-image" or "image-". runqemu
is not able to parse it and throws a "unknown" argument error (not
that obvious from the print).

I realize that this is a "problem" in runqemu and not much to do about
it with a large refactoring job on the runqemu application.

But I am looking for suggesting for an appropriate workaround, other
then renaming the image which I have verified works.

Does it say somewhere in the docs that all image files must contain
"-image" or "image-" in their name? If that is the case it makes sense
to rename it, but trying to avoid that.

--
Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards

Mirza Krak