[yocto] How to modify a meta third party layer sources from my custom layer

Stefano Cappa stefano.cappa.ks89 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 13:58:52 PDT 2018

Hello everyone,
I'm new to yocto so please don't kill me :). I have a question, probably
very stupid and simple, but I'm really don't know how to understand this so
I'm trying to ask to the cummunity.

I'm using Yocto 2.4 for an hardware with meta-freescale layer to support it.
However I have to apply some changes. I'm able to build if I
modify/overwrite and delete some files by myself, but when I try to use a
custom layer to do that I cannot build, because obviously I don't know what
I should do.

My custom layer applies some patches to work and work-shared dirs and
everything is ok, but I don't understand how to add files and changes to my
layer to modify meta-freescale sources.

I can create a fork of that layer, but I prefer to add all changes to my
layer.
In particular I need to add some .inc, .bb files into /recipes-bsp/u-boot/
of meta-freescale and a folder with some files and patches taken from
poky/meta/..../u-boot/ like u-boot-fw-utils-imx_2017.09.bb and
u-boot-common_2017.09.inc

How can I do this from a custom layer? Which is the right procedure?

Custom layers can modify only work and work-shared dirs content or also
other layer sources, because that they are executed?

Thank you.