[yocto] Can we keep toolchain while upgrade source code?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:47:14 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Raymond Yeung <rksyeung at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Our project currently uses Krogoth 2.1.  It's a mid-2016 release.  I'm
> looking into logistic of upgrading to Rocko 2.4 (a late-2017 release).
>
> Is it possible to keep the toolchain in Krogoth 2.1 revisions, while
> migrating the sources to Rocko 2.4 revisions?  Has anyone done that?

I think this is a dangerous proposition, since rocko is integrated
with whatever toolchain
it has. You could probably still try if you were using external toolchain

> Upgrading toolchain seems to be a pain-point, as it affects packages (e.g.
> Python 2.7 vs. Python 3) that other legacy builds may also use.

toolchain doesn't have much to do with python2 vs python3
you might want to weigh in what is it that you are looking from upgrading
if its few packages you might want to see if backporting the needed to your
existing base is an option