[yocto] Looking at using Yocto, have General Adoption questions

Richard Koch n1gp at hotmail.com
Wed May 9 13:03:27 PDT 2018

Hello list.

I'm looking for some general use cases for how a firmware development team such as ourselves has adopted Yocto in to their non-Yocto based environment.

We have a group of firmware developers that currently develop for various iMX6 based
controller boards. For those boards we have not been using Yocto but utilize a patched kernel and u-boot from the SOM mfr.
We then modified those and developed our own rootfs (manually).

Our build is source controlled through SVN. We use Linaro based ARM cross compilers to
build u-boot/kernel and our applications. This is packaged up in to a .deb file and installed
as an upgrade on to an SDCard that already contains a baseline u-boot/kernel/rootfs.

We have requirements for a new design that we would like to base off of the NXP MCIMX7D-SABRE eval board.
For this eval board there is a suggested BSP that to use which is Yocto based.

I have followed NXP's Yocto guide to download, configure, and build an SDCard image which boots
successfully on this eval board.

The Yocto build consumed ~26GB of disk space and took most of the day to build on an i7 Quad 32GB Ubuntu 16.04 PC.

So I am wondering how to introduce this to our current build environment and development team.
I understand the concept is to take the imx7dsabresd recipe/meta-layer/? and port that to our own design.

After successfully porting the eval BSP to our own design;

How does a team of developers such as ourselves:

Control the source code changes?
Do we check/convert the whole Yocto git repo in to our SVN or is there a suggested way to trim down to a manageable subset?
How do we update our new recipe/meta-layer/? when the NXP recipe/meta-layer/? we derived it from changes upstream due to security/bug fixes?

Appreciate any advice,

-Rick