[yocto] Excluding ptest packages from image build

Erik Nellessen enellessen at phoenixcontact.com
Wed May 9 08:30:27 PDT 2018

I would like to exclude some ptest packages from an image build.

To include ptest packages in general, my image recipe contains the
following line:
IMAGE_FEATURES_append = " ptest-pkgs"

As a first step, I tried to exclude the acl-ptest package. To do so, I
added the following to my image recipe:
PACKAGE_EXCLUDE_COMPLEMENTARY = "acl-ptest"

I thought that this would exclude the acl-ptest package as described in
the project reference:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.4.2/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-PACKAGE_EXCLUDE_COMPLEMENTARY
"Prevents specific packages from being installed when you are installing
complementary packages.

You might find that you want to prevent installing certain packages when
you are installing complementary packages. For example, if you are using
IMAGE_FEATURES to install dev-pkgs, you might not want to install all
packages from a particular multilib. If you find yourself in this
situation, you can use the PACKAGE_EXCLUDE_COMPLEMENTARY variable to
specify regular expressions to match the packages you want to exclude."

Anyhow this did not result in an image without the acl-ptest package, as
I could validate by having a look at the image's manifest file.

When I changed the image recipe to contain the regular expression "acl", i.e
PACKAGE_EXCLUDE_COMPLEMENTARY = "acl"
all three acl packages (acl, acl-lic, acl-ptest) were excluded from the
image.

And to really start the confusion, when changed the regular expression
to "acl.", i.e.
PACKAGE_EXCLUDE_COMPLEMENTARY = "acl."
all three packages were also excluded.

Now I am really confused. My expectation was that "acl-ptest" and "acl"
would match the acl-ptest package name and "acl." would not match the
acl package name.

Does anybody see what I am missing here?

Thanks in advance,
Erik