[yocto] defconfig file (or fragment files) not used

Vincent Daanen vincent.daanen at orthotaxy.com
Wed Mar 28 09:27:41 PDT 2018

Hi,

I want to add CAN driver support to the kernel. Here is the procedure I followed:

  1.  Generate a .config file
  2.  Copy it to meta-myWork/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig
  3.  Update it: set at the end the config to enable CAN as follows

# CAN Bus

CONFIG_NET=y

CONFIG_CAN=y

CONFIG_CAN_RAW=y

CONFIG_CAN_BCM=y

CONFIG_CAN_GW=y

#

# CAN Device Drivers

#

CONFIG_CAN_VCAN=y

# CONFIG_CAN_SLCAN is not set

CONFIG_CAN_DEV=y

# CONFIG_CAN_CALC_BITTIMING is not set

# CONFIG_CAN_LEDS is not set

# CONFIG_CAN_SJA1000 is not set

  1.  Update the linux-yocto_%.bbappend file as follows

SUMMARY = "Recipe to configure kernel as required"

LICENSE = "CLOSED"

inherit kernel-yocto

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"

SRC_URI += file://defconfig

  1.  Request rebuilt:
bitbake linux-yocto-rt -c cleansstate
bitbake -k linux-yocto-rt

Once the image started (with qemu), I check if the CAN is enabled (using zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CAN) and I always get “CAN not set”

I also tried using fragment and I got the same result ☹

According the user manual, it seems to me I’m doing the right think!
Does someone know why my defconfig file is not taken into account ?

Thanks

Vincent