[yocto] directory not created in /lib/firmware rootfs

Vincent Daanen vincent.daanen at orthotaxy.com
Wed Mar 14 10:47:21 PDT 2018

Hi,

I have to install a firmware in /lib/firmware.
In the recipe, the function do_install() is the following
do_install() {
                install -d ${base_libdir}/firmware
                install -m 0755 ${WORKDIR}/firmware_manufacturer/firmware.fw ${base_libdir}/firmware
}

FILES_${PN} += " ${base_libdir}/firmware/firmware.fw "

And the build fails with an error: "cannot create regular file '/lib/firmware/firmware.fw': Permission denied

So I comment the install statement relative to the firmware (install -m 0755...) and change FILES_${PN} to FILES_${PN} += " ${base_libdir}/firmware "
The build succeeds but when I look at the image (with qemu) the directory /lib/firmware does not exists..

What am I doing wrong ?

Vincent