[yocto] Targeting Windows platform

Isaac Nickaein nickaein.i at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:56:13 PDT 2018

Hi Florian,

> The SDKs and images are very helpful for (cross platform) CI and deployment.

Indeed. I don't know any platform or tool as capable as Yocto to
provide such convenience for C++ development.

> A real Windows SDK support would be awesome (exspecially for deploying
> library dependencies)

Exactly. Library dependencies are a hell in C++ and there is still no
package manager that solves this.
Conan, vcpkg and other package managers haven't made significant
progress and they are nowhere near the maturity and versatility of
Yocto.

> There is already some kind of "first try" with the mingw meta layer at
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/meta-mingw - but I tried to use it
> with our windows projects and failed, since the mingw version there is
> extremly old.

While meta-mingw is intended to build an SDK running on Windows,  I'm
afraid it still targets Linux platform and does not provide a
**MACHINE** type for Windows.
It certainly can be used as a basis for building a Windows-To-Windows
SDK though.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is relieving to see that you
have the same perspective.
I hope there will be an initiative to target Windows and I will be
glad to contribute.

Cheers,
Isaac