[yocto] How and where does yocto find lighttpd-module-fastcgi?

Wayne Witzke wwitzke at asgrp.com
Fri Mar 9 06:18:22 PST 2018

Thank you for the reply!

When I wasn't adding lighttpd-module-fastcgi, it definitely was not
including it in the build. I have the lighttpd.conf file set up use
mod_fastcgi, and without lighttpd-module-fastcgi in my local.conf file,
lighttpd would fail to start on the embedded build, complaining that it
could not find the fastcgi module. In fact, the same thing happens with
php-cgi. I can't find anyplace in any of the layers that I'm using that
actually references php-cgi as a package or option, but unless I add it
to local.conf using EXTRA_CORE_IMAGES_INSTALL, it doesn't get included
in the build.

I would have assumed exactly what you are saying, if I hadn't seen
lighttpd fail to start before adding lighttpd-module-fastcgi, and then,
with no other changes, start correctly (finding the module) after adding
lighttpd-module-fastcgi.

Wayne

On 03/08/2018 06:13 PM, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM, Wayne Witzke <wwitzke at asgrp.com> wrote:
>> However, now I am attempting to determine if mod_openssl is installed on my
>> server, and using "CORE_EXTRA_IMAGES_INSTALL += 'lighttpd-module-openssl'"
>> to simply add it does NOT magically work like it did with
>> lighttpd-module-fastcgi. My original guess was that adding
>> "CORE_EXTRA_IMAGES_INSTALL += 'lighttpd-module-fastcgi'" caused a
>> configuration option to be matched in the lighttpd.bb file so that the
>> appropriate build option was used when building lighttpd.
> No, that's not how it works. A very key point to understand with OE is
> that options associated with one recipe can never affect the build of
> another recipe (in this case, the image recipe can't affect the build
> of the lighttpd recipe).
>
> If adding lighttpd-module-fastcgi to your image worked, it's because
> the lighttpd recipe was already creating that package.
>
>> However, fastcgi
>> doesn't actually show up in that file at all, and openssl does, so that
>> clearly isn't the option . . . furthermore, mod_fastcgi doesn't appear in
>> *any* of the layers I'm using to build, except in the lighttpd.conf portion
>> of the recipe-extended/lighttpd directory structure.
> If lighttpd doesn't have a configure option to control building of the
> fastcgi module, then there won't be a PACKAGECONFIG option for it in
> the recipe - it will just always be built.
>
> (Even if lighttpd does have a configure option for the fastcgi module,
> there's no guarantee that the recipe will allow it to be controlled -
> it's common for PACKAGECONFIG options in recipes to only reflect the
> configure options which people care about the most).
>
>> So, my question is, how does bitbake know what to do when I add
>> lighttpd-module-fastcgi,
> The build for lighttpd isn't affected by whether or not you add
> lighttpd-module-fastcgi to your image.
>
> ie running "bitbake lighttpd", should always result in a package for
> lighttpd-module-fastcgi being placed in tmp/deploy/ipk/i586/ (or
> whatever your packaging format / architecture combination is). It
> doesn't matter what image you may choose to build later, or what
> packages you choose to include in it.
>
>> and where in the world does it find the source for
>> mod_fastcgi?
> The source which gets compiled into lighttpd-module-fastcgi must be
> coming from lighttpd.
>
>> Thank you in advance for your help :)
>>
>> Wayne
>> --

ASG Logo

Wayne Witzke
Staff Engineer
Applied Sciences Group, Inc.
4455 Genesee St., Suite 103
Buffalo, NY 14225
716-626-5100 x306
www.asgrp.com

*Connect with ASG*
LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/99150?trk=tyah&trkInfo=clickedVertical%3Acompany%2Cidx%3A1-1-1%2CtarId%3A1427119746545%2Ctas%3Aapplied+sciences+group>
<https://www.facebook.com/applied.sciences.group> | Google+
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/112847765558045826229/+AppliedSciencesGroupIncBuffalo/posts>
| YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/user/asgrp4455>

Our Mission: To Integrate Software Solutions With the People Who Use Them.