[yocto] Strange filesystem problem using docker on a pyro based system

Peter Spierenburg peter.spierenburg at nautel.com
Mon Mar 5 08:21:13 PST 2018

I am building docker on a pyro based system. I'm using the overlay storage driver, and I am getting a strange result:

When I add a file to a container, any files in the same directory that come from the base image disappear... Here is a short script that highlights what I mean:

docker build -t test - <<"EOF" FROM debian RUN ls -laF /usr RUN ls -laF ./usr/bin RUN touch /usr/bin/bogus RUN ls -laF /usr RUN ls -laF ./usr/bin EOF docker run -it --name=test_container test sh -c "ls -laF /usr ; ls -laF ./usr/bin ; whoami && echo PASS || echo FAIL" docker logs test_container docker rm test_container docker rmi test

When I run the script above, creating the /usr/bin/bogus file causes all other files in /usr/bin to disappear, so that when the script tries to run the whoami command it fails with

sh: 1: whoami: not found

I figure that I have missed some important kernel config option. According to /usr/share/docker/contrib/check-config.sh:

info: reading kernel config from /proc/config.gz ...

Generally Necessary:
- cgroup hierarchy: properly mounted [/sys/fs/cgroup]
- CONFIG_NAMESPACES: enabled
- CONFIG_NET_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_PID_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_IPC_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_UTS_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUPS: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_CPUACCT: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_DEVICE: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_FREEZER: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED: enabled
- CONFIG_CPUSETS: enabled
- CONFIG_MEMCG: enabled
- CONFIG_KEYS: enabled
- CONFIG_VETH: enabled
- CONFIG_BRIDGE: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NF_NAT_IPV4: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_ADDRTYPE: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_CONNTRACK: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_IPVS: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NF_NAT: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NF_NAT_NEEDED: enabled
- CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE: enabled
- CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES: enabled

Optional Features:
- CONFIG_USER_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_SECCOMP: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_PIDS: missing
- CONFIG_MEMCG_SWAP: missing
- CONFIG_MEMCG_SWAP_ENABLED: missing
- CONFIG_MEMCG_KMEM: enabled
- CONFIG_BLK_CGROUP: missing
- CONFIG_BLK_DEV_THROTTLING: missing
- CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_CFQ_GROUP_IOSCHED: missing
- CONFIG_CGROUP_PERF: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_HUGETLB: missing
- CONFIG_NET_CLS_CGROUP: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_CGROUP_NET_PRIO: enabled
- CONFIG_CFS_BANDWIDTH: enabled
- CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED: enabled
- CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED: enabled
- CONFIG_IP_VS: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_VS_NFCT: enabled
- CONFIG_IP_VS_RR: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_EXT3_FS: missing
- CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR: missing
- CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL: missing
- CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY: missing
    (enable these ext3 configs if you are using ext3 as backing filesystem)
- CONFIG_EXT4_FS: enabled
- CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL: enabled
- CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY: enabled
- Network Drivers:
  - "overlay":
    - CONFIG_VXLAN: missing
      Optional (for encrypted networks):
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO: enabled
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_AEAD: missing
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_GCM: missing
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_SEQIV: missing
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_GHASH: missing
      - CONFIG_XFRM: enabled
      - CONFIG_XFRM_USER: enabled (as module)
      - CONFIG_XFRM_ALGO: enabled (as module)
      - CONFIG_INET_ESP: missing
      - CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT: enabled
  - "ipvlan":
    - CONFIG_IPVLAN: missing
  - "macvlan":
    - CONFIG_MACVLAN: enabled
    - CONFIG_DUMMY: missing
  - "ftp,tftp client in container":
    - CONFIG_NF_NAT_FTP: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_FTP: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_NF_NAT_TFTP: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_TFTP: enabled (as module)
- Storage Drivers:
  - "aufs":
    - CONFIG_AUFS_FS: missing
  - "btrfs":
    - CONFIG_BTRFS_FS: missing
    - CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL: missing
  - "devicemapper":
    - CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM: missing
    - CONFIG_DM_THIN_PROVISIONING: missing
  - "overlay":
    - CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS: enabled (as module)
  - "zfs":
    - /dev/zfs: missing
    - zfs command: missing
    - zpool command: missing

Limits:
- /proc/sys/kernel/keys/root_maxkeys: 1000000

This communication, including any attached documentation, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or taking action on the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact us immediately so we may correct our records. Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any subsequent reply. Thank you.