[yocto] Yocto procedure to write generated image to hdd

Iván Castell icastell at nayarsystems.com
Thu Mar 1 03:20:56 PST 2018

Hello forum.

Working with 'rocko' yocto branch. Yocto generates .ext4, .hddimg and .wic
images. I want to install the proper image to the HDD of my PC, in order to
use it as my default Linux distro.

I have been using the .wic image to boot from the USB pendrive until now,
writing it to the USB using 'dd'. This works fine, but because of some BIOS
issues, I had to modify mkefidisk.wks script to add 'noapic' option
(probably this is relevant).

To try to install the generated image in my hard disk, I write the .hddimg
file to a USB-pendrive using dd and the plug the pendrive and boot the PC.
A boot menu of GNU GRUB version 2.02 appears with two options:

    * install
    * noot

Editing the install option I can see this:

    setparams 'install'
    linux /vmlinuz LABEL=install-efi root=/dev/ram0 rootwait
console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
    initrd /initrd

And editing boot options I can see this:

    setparams 'boot'
    linux /vmlinuz LABEL=boot root=/dev/ram0 rootwait console=ttyS0,115200
console=tty0
    initrd /initrd

After choosing "install" option and pressing "Enter", a black screen
appears and nothing else happens.

I have tried editing 'install' option, adding 'noapic' after console=tty0,
and then I can see logs of kernel booting and after 0.5 secods the screen
is flooded of error lines:

    /init: line 65: sleep: command not found
    /init: line 65: sleep: command not found
    /init: line 65: sleep: command not found

Is this the proper way to install the generated image in the hard disk?
Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance! :-)

Best regards,
  -- Ivan