[yocto] How to export kernel specific headers to userspace

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:50:55 PDT 2018

On 6/18/18 10:19 PM, Ankit Rastogi wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Can someone provide any pointers on how to export kernel specific
> headers to userspace?
>
> I am getting below error while building our one of the component which
> requires kernel uapi headers.
>
> Error Received:
>   /hdmi-capture/main.c:16:10: fatal error: linux/hdmi_info.h: No such
> file or directory
>> |  #include <linux/hdmi_info.h>
>> |           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> | compilation terminated.
>
> In yocto 2.5, userspace is boot strapped with linux-libc-headers package
> which uses a set of uapi headers from Linux kernel 4.15. Can someone
> suggest for custom kernels, how to expose uapi headers to userspace?
> Thus create a separate linux-apl-headers package with those files.

you can write your own kernel headers recipe and make that preferred
provider.

or you can add patch to existing recipe.

I would suggest that be careful to expose the APIs here, if its already
an UAPI in later versions of kernel and you are backporting to an older
version it might be fine but ramdom header export would land you in
problems later.