[yocto] /boot/ content into root filesystem?

Tim Hammer tdhammer99 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:57:10 PDT 2018

I would like to include the kernel Image and DTB files in the /boot/
directory of the root filesystem that will be installed in flash memory (
*vs.* a separate partition with the /boot/ content).

I am working with the meta-freescale layer, with MACHINE=ls1012afrdm and
core-image-minimal.

The kernel Image and DTB files required for the /boot/ directory are
created in tmp/work/.../linux-qoriq/4.14-r0/, initially stored in both
image/boot/ and package/boot/. These directories also include other
"standard" boot directory files (config, System.map, *etc.*). I figured the
best way to get the files into the root filesystem would be to add the
package to my IMAGE_INSTALL variable.

However, I could not determine a (default) package name that worked (from
the path & file names), but I did find use of KERNEL_PACKAGE_NAME (from
kernel.bbclass) in linux-qoriq_4.14.bb. So I created definitions in
linux-qoriq_4.14.bbappend:

RPROVIDES_${KERNEL_PACKAGE_NAME} = "boot-part-files"

FILES_${KERNEL_PACKAGE_NAME} += "/boot/"

That I then use in my image .conf file:

IMAGE_INSTALL += " ppfe-firmware boot-part-files"

This is working, but I was wondering if I missed another source or could
better understand the kernel.bbclass to determine the (default/correct)
package name to use in the IMAGE_INSTALL variable?

Thanks for any pointers or help!
--

.Tim