[yocto] How handle files needing updates in read-only filesystem

Peter Kjellerstedt peter.kjellerstedt at axis.com
Sat Jun 9 16:36:09 PDT 2018

Since a  lot of files in /etc typically need to be writable, one way to
handle this is by using an overlayfs for /etc. That is what we do and
it works very well.

An alternative, more along your suggestion, is to use bind mounts. The
advantage of using a bind mount instead of a symbolic link is that it
will look as a normal file.

You should look into the volatile-binds recipe and the VOLATILE_BINDS
variable. It is used to handle directories that need to be writable.
It will create systemd service files that copies the non-volatile
directory to the volatile directory (if it does not already exists),
and the bind mounts it back.

I am not sure volatile-binds works out-of-the-box for files, but I
believe it does. If not, it should not be too hard to modify it so
that it can handle files as well.

//Peter