[yocto] Can't get *.a's into SDK sysroot

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:28:13 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Andre,
>
>> RDEPENDS_${PN}-dev += "${PN}-staticdev"
>
> I also read this email, and decided to investigate myself. Since I
> wrote meta-mylayer with cannelloni recipe in it.
>
> To find out if the recipe works correctly, and it is incorporated
> (upfront) in ROOTFS, I did the following:
> [1] Did the compilation of the clean tree;
> [2] After that, I did: bitbake -s | grep cannelloni -> yes, the build
> system sees it;
> [3] Changed to ${TMPDIR}/work and issued the command: find . -name cannelloni
>
> To my surprise, the search produced empty results.
>
> Then I added your line to the cannelloni recipe: RDEPENDS_${PN}-dev +=
> "${PN}-staticdev"
>
> Again, bitbake -c cleanall cannelloni, then bitbake cannelloni, and
> step [3] produced visible results.
>
> Now I see it in the .../tmp/work/...
>
> But, there were NOT any changes in: .../tmp/deploy/images/beaglebone/
> directory (in ${build} directory, I guess)???
>
> So, what I need to do to see build components changed (since I assume,
> cannelloni still did not make it in ROOTFS)???

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

If you are asking why you sometimes don't see build artefacts under
${TMPDIR}/work then remember that the goal of building a normal recipe
is to create a set of installable packages under ${TMPDIR}/deploy. The
files in the work directory are just side effects of the intermediate
steps to achieve that... and bitbake will try hard to skip those
intermediate steps if they can be avoided (ie if outputs can be
recreated from sstate).

If you are asking why building your image from a completely clean tree
doesn't result in building your recipe (or changing your recipe
doesn't result in the image being rebuilt) then yes it suggests that
your image doesn't include and packages created by your recipe.