[yocto] journald logs "lost" between firmware updates

Jeremy Overesch Jeremy.Overesch at millerwelds.com
Wed Jul 18 09:36:42 PDT 2018

In my embedded system, I've created persistent storage on a separate filesystem for log files in /var/log.  This works well, until I do a firmware update.  When the firmware is updated, the entire root filesystem is rewritten.  This means that the /etc/machine-id is also rewritten to a new, random number.  As journald stores everything in /var/log/journal/<machine-id>, I get old logs that are no longer accessible and not purged, taking up disk space.  Is there any way to make the machine-id persistent across firmware updates?

My initial thought would be to make /etc/machine-id into a symlink pointing to /var/log/machine-id.  However, that results in a new problem.  On first boot, the file wouldn't exist, making an invalid symlink.

What is the proper way to go about keeping the machine-id consistent across firmware updates?

Thanks,
Jeremy

This message (including any attachments) is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient/s and may contain material that is CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVATE COMPANY INFORMATION. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that you must delete the message without disseminating, copying or taking any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender via return e-mail. Thank you.