[yocto] Including a header from an external kernel module

Michael Allwright michael.allwright at ulb.ac.be
Mon Jul 9 08:27:40 PDT 2018

Hello,

I think it would be useful to extend the hello-mod recipe in meta-skeleton
to demonstrate some slightly more complicated scenarios. For example, I am
trying to find out how to have two external kernel modules A and B, where
module B #includes a header file provided by module A.

I have made module B depend on module A, however, I believe I am still
missing one or two steps in my recipe for module A such that the header
file is copied into the shared kernel staging directory where module B can
find it.

So far I have tried the following:

FILES_${PN}-dev += "/usr/include/linux/mfd/module-a.h"

FILES_kernel-headers += "${includedir}/linux/mfd/module-a.h"

do_install_append () {
   install -d ${D}${includedir}/linux/mfd
   install -m 644 ${S}/module-a ${D}${includedir}/linux/mfd/module-a.h
}

In module B, I want to be able to:

#include <linux/mfd/module-a.h>