[yocto] How to remove openssl from sysroots

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 20:47:11 PDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 7:04 PM, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> On 07/06/2018 03:06 PM, Raymond Yeung wrote:
>> I've changed the subject heading to make it more specific to our problem.  Hopefully this generates some responses.
>>
>> It has been blocking us for close to one week now.  We want to use our 3rd party vendor openssl, not the one that comes with the source.  Apparently, even with "minimal" instead of "base" or "sato" cannot exclude it.
>>
>> Any idea [e.g. how do we systematically find out how it's included now, and possibly what other packages/recipes we may also need to remove due to dependency]?
>
> I tend to use the ouput of the buildhistory class when I have these
> questions.

An alternative quick and dirty approach is to make the recipe
unbuildable. If the recipe is unbuildable but needed by something then
the bitbake error message will give the dependency chain. You can make
a recipe unbuildable for the target by adding the following to the
recipe:

  COMPATIBLE_HOST_class-target = 'null'

Note that there are two openssl recipes in recent oe-core (v1.0.x and
v1.1.x). For this experiment you will need to make BOTH of them
unbuildable.

This seems like a somewhat pointless path to be going down though. If
you remove all packages which depend on openssl from the target rootfs
then you won't need to add in your 3rd party vendor openssl any
more... since nothing is going to use it.