[yocto] Keeping and modifying Source code in Yocto

Ulf Samuelsson yocto at emagii.com
Fri Jul 6 12:11:35 PDT 2018

externalsrc.bbclass?

In my current project we have a simplified version in a ”component.bbclass”.
It relies on a variable COMPONENT_DIR defined in our local.conf.

A recipe located in ”recipe-xxxx/<package>/<package>_$PV.bb” doing

inherit component

will find its source code in $COMPONENT_DIR/<package>, making the recipe simpler than that of the externalsrc bbclass. No need for SRC_URI statements.

We check out meta layers and the components using repo so the components are always located in $COMPONENTS_DIR.

Been thinking of upstreaming this, but I am unsure about the interest.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson