[yocto] conf/machine/<machine.conf> in my custom layer doesn't get parsed

Isaac Nickaein nickaein.i at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 07:23:00 PST 2018

Hi Anuj,

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Anuj Mittal <anuj.mittal at intel.com> wrote:
> I hope that this machine name, colibri-imx6, isn't being used in some
> other included layer as well ...
>
> meta-freescale-3rdparty/conf/machine/colibri-imx6.conf? Can you try
> changing the name?

You are a lifesaver. Bitbake was picking "colibri-imx6.conf" from
"meta-freescale-3rdparty" and ignored my conf.
I thought conf files can be overridden but apparently just one
machine-specific conf can be provided.

Thanks Anjug.

Here is more info if someone had the same problem:

I reordered the included layers in BBLAYERS variable defined in
conf/bblayers.conf so that my layer be at the top of the list:

BBLAYERS ?= " \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-mylayer \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-poky \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-openembedded/meta-python \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-openembedded/meta-networking \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-openembedded/meta-webserver \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-freescale \
  ${BSPDIR}/meta-freescale-3rdparty \
"

Apparently the assigned priority for layers is only considered for
*.bb/*.bbappend files and does not have any effect for conf files.

Placing my layer at the first layer causes bitbake to pick up it's
config in very early stage and ignore other machine specific files.

As I wasn't sure whether other config files are dependent on MACHINE
value and applying any configuration based on machine type
colibri-imx6, I decided to keep "colibri-imx6" the same for now.

Bests,
Isaac