[yocto] Installing python packages from a git repository

Alan Martinovic alan.martinovic at senic.com
Mon Jan 1 18:48:31 PST 2018

Hi,
in the setup I've inherited we're hosting our own devpi server
for the purpose of embedding apps in our os image.

We went for this option, instead of directly pushing to PyPI
as to not pollute the public repo with development and
unstable eggs.

This came with a price of needing to extend the pypi.bbclass
to point to the correct server, occasional URL errors and another
server to maintain.

I am secretly hoping that it isn't a horrible idea to have yocto install
a python app directly from the git repo (with the existence of a proper
setup.py). The expected result being less things to worry about.

What are the approaches you're using to install a custom python apps
into the build?

Be Well :)
Alan