[yocto] Removing busybox completely from the generated image

Iván Castell icastell at nayarsystems.com
Mon Feb 19 08:13:51 PST 2018

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 02:17:38AM -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:35 AM, Iván Castell
> > <icastell at nayarsystems.com> wrote:
> > > I have tried breaking apart packagegroup-core-boot, making a copy in my
> > > custom layer, removing the line referencing busybox:
> > >
> > >     ## VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager ?= "busybox"
>
> Have you considered "toybox" ? It probably wouldn't work right-away. Still,
> toybox was designed to provide a replacement for busybox. It is available
> in "meta-oe"
>
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-
> oe/recipes-core/toybox/toybox_0.7.5.bb

Thank you for the information, I will take into account that tool for
future embedded projects. However, the focus of this issue was to remove
completely busybox from the image, not replacing it by another application
box.

I have created a bbappend with a fragment of the busybox configuration
disabling syslog and udhcpc applets. It works. However the busybox binary
and a lot of applets are still there (adduser, unzip, fbset, traceroute,
and more).

Disabling all different applets and installing native tools instead could
be the right way to procede. Not a nice solution, but at least it should
work...