[yocto] Removing busybox completely from the generated image

Iván Castell icastell at nayarsystems.com
Fri Feb 16 07:56:25 PST 2018

Hello forum!

I'm trying to build a yocto image without busybox and without any busybox
applet deployed.

I have tried that configuring my distro.conf file in this way:

    DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = " busybox"
    VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_base-utils = ""
    PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/base-utils = ""

Nonetheless, busybox binary and two related applets (syslog and udhcpc) are
installed in the generated image:

    $ rpm -qa | grep busybox
    busybox-syslog-1.24.1-r0.corei7_64
    busybox-1.24.1-r0.corei7_64
    busybox-udhcpc-1.24.1-r0.corei7_64

I have tried disabling syslog applet appending to my distro.conf file:

    VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_syslog ?= ""

But syslogd applet is still installed:

    # ls -l /sbin/syslogd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Feb 15 14:03 /sbin/syslogd ->
/bin/busybox.nosuid

Is there some way to remove busybox completely from the generated image?

Thank you in advance! :-)