[yocto] Changing gcc version and arch for single yocto recipe

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 7 22:23:34 PST 2018

On 02/07/2018 08:48 PM, Janez Svetokravsky wrote:
> I have just stumbled upon interesting problem, which i do not know how
> to solve. I am using yocto to build image for ARM cortex-A9 CPU. default
> gcc used is version 5.2
>
> Beside ARM cortex-A9 there is cortex-m0plus chip, which is located on
> the same board. From now on i will use abbreviations A9 and M0.
> Occasionally A9 is used to upgrade software on M0, therefor upgrade
> image for M0 is located in rootfs which is accessed by A9. Until now, i
> used different compiler/environment to compile firmware for M0 and
> afterwards copied M0 image to A9 rootfs.
>
> I would like to move compiling of M0 firmware into yocto. gcc version
> used for M0 firmware is different and must not be changed, same goes for
> A9. So my question is: Is it possible to specify different version of
> gcc and different architecture, for single yocto recipe?

You can build any recipe for a different machine in the same build
directory:

MACHINE=someothermachine bitbake <firmware>

You will find the packages in deploy dir.

Or just set up a separate build directory, and build there. Then use any
suitable way to copy the result over (such as a recipe that pulls the
ready-built firmware in).

Alex