[yocto] Build directory toolchain

Gigi W gigitekwork at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 22:23:56 PST 2018

Thanks for the input !

The idea was that we have the build directory for building our project +
full image, so everything is already there, already setup, all the
tools+libraries etc.
If a new dependency is added, your environment is updated during bitbaking
the project, so everything is updated "automatically" when you are going to
build outside.
Generating a installer and then installing that in some other location
involves extra, manual steps. Also if dependencies are added, you have to
manually generate it again and install it.
So it didn't look that simple when we started the project, and using the
toolchain derived from the build directory was more "natural"... - But this
seems to not work anymore.
As I remember that build directory toolchain (build/tmp/environment-setup-
cortexa5hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi) was also used and needed if one was
going to use Eclipse for building a Yocto project.(you can choose from a
"Standalone Pre-built Toolchain" or a "Build System Derived Toolchain")

But maybe, I'm missing something ... (?)
Your suggestion is to go for generating a SDK installer? Using "bitbake -c
populate_sdk myimage"

Thanks and regards