[yocto] Install Yocto Image using PXE Boot & TFTP

Burke, David dburke at mountainss.com
Thu Dec 27 08:09:28 PST 2018

I'm trying to figure out how to install a Yocto image over Ethernet using PXE boot, TFTP, etc.  I should emphasize that the PXE Server needs to be run on a Windows machine.  I know there are several PXE server's available for Windows like TFTPD64, Tiny PXE Server and Serva.  I'm somewhat familiar with the high-level process of using PXE to boot and then TFTP to then download files to the client.  The thing I am having the most difficulty with right now is determining what files I need on my Windows machine (and where do I get them), besides the PXE/TFTP Server, to be able to accomplish this task.  The other thing I'm not sure about is how I am supposed to setup the PXE/TFTP server from the standpoint of the "boot file" option for DHCP and whether or not I am supposed to be using / setting the PXE Options like option 66, 67, etc.  Clarification on those items would be appreciated also.
I should also emphasize that I am very new not only to Yocto but also Linux.  Any help that can be provided here would be greatly appreciated.
Additional information that may be helpful to someone wanting to respond to this post is as follows:

  *   Client Hardware:  Kontron SBC model COMe-MAL10 (x64)
  *   BIOS: UEFI (I don't think there's a legacy option)
  *   Using Yocto Project Version 2.2.3
  *   Using Tiny PXE Server Version 1.0.0.21.  Not apposed to using TFTPD64 or other.