[yocto] Question about temporary directories

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:13:15 PST 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:28 AM A <aaron.biver at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like multiple "helper" recipes to contribute files to a temporary directory on my build host, and then a final recipe to combine them into a compressed file.
>
> But I DON'T want the helper recipe's files to get installed on the target system.  My goal is to have them put into a jffs2 image, which will eventually get flashed onto a target partition using JTAG.
>
> So, I suspect I would have to fly under the radar in yocto, having the helper recipes install something into the host filesystem, then have the final recipe know about that location.
>
> Any advice how I can do this as "properly" as possible in yocto?

OE build system have a strong sense of components which means when its
building a recipe, it just puts a container sort of around it and
thats all the build for that package sees.

so when you think in that way then you have to establish dependencies
between these helper recipes and build them. Dont worry they only get
staged in recipe specific sysroot for build purposes only. Image builder
will include it in final image only if it appears as direct or
indirect runtime dependency of image or other constituents of image.