[yocto] Best practices for tokens/passwords that can't be versioned

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Thu Dec 13 05:59:15 PST 2018

Alan Martinovic <alan.martinovic at senic.com> writes:

> am looking for opinions on how to deal with recipes that depend on file content
> that can't be versioned.

For ssh public keys we use something like

  https://github.com/sigma-embedded/meta-de.sigma-chemnitz/blob/thud/classes/elito-image.bbclass#L36-L44

e.g. we take it from ${HOME}/.config/oe (which is a little bit tricky to
expand).

And/or incliude local/side configuration by

  https://gitlab.com/ensc-groups/bpi-router/BSP/blob/thud-next/build/conf/local.conf#L33-36

which in turn includes something from ~/.config/oe/

  https://gitlab.com/ensc-groups/bpi-router/BSP/blob/thud-next/build/conf/local_bpi-router.bigo.ensc.de.conf#L9

> i.e.  The logging service on the embedded device needs to have a
> certain private key

Note that including private keys in the image usually weakens security
because the key can be extracted more or less trivially.

Enrico
--
SIGMA Chemnitz GmbH       Registergericht:   Amtsgericht Chemnitz HRB 1750
Am Erlenwald 13           Geschaeftsfuehrer: Grit Freitag, Frank Pyritz