[yocto] connmand+dbus. Which alternatives?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Dec 6 02:21:50 PST 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 06:53, Mauro Ziliani <mauro at faresoftware.it> wrote:
> Normally the sytstem works well. Sometimes, randomly, the system freeze
> or the app crashes.
>
> I made many test and this happens when the system is connected to a SSID.
>
> So I suspect that the problem is in connamd_1.31+dbus_1.10.6

Connman is just a management tool, the actual work is done by other
pieces of the stack such as wpa_supplicant (actually tells the drivers
what to do) or the kernel drives themselves.  Changing connman won't
change those, so it's fairly likely that the crashes will continue.
iwd is a future alternative for wpa_supplicant but I'm not sure it's
ready for production use just yet.

Instead of going from "bad things happen when on wifi" to "I blame
connman", step back and root-cause carefully.  Is the kernel hanging?
Attach a remote gdb so you can identify why, or enable comprehensive
logging to a serial terminal so you can see any messages.  Maybe your
wifi kernel driver is buggy.  Is just the application hanging? Much
easier to debug, with gdb.

Ross