[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] issue booting image containing alternate kernel

Steve Pavao stevep at korgrd.com
Thu Aug 23 14:28:19 PDT 2018

Hello,

Sometimes, I need to build an image containing the raspberrypi / linux kernel as specified by the meta-raspberrypi layer recipes.  Other times, I need to build an image containing the ipipe-arm64 kernel instead.  This alternate kernel builds fine outside of Yocto and boots, so it should also build fine from within Yocto and boot, too.

I have a recipe to build this alternate kernel, and it works fine.  I simply tweaked the machine’s metadata for the device tree handling differences, and then specify PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual_kernel in local.conf.  The build completes just fine.  Easy peasy.

The problem occurs when I try to boot this alternate system.  (BTW, for this alternate build, I am using kernel=u-boot.bin with a boot.scr that specifies the proper dtb and has the same bootargs as my cmdline.txt)

During the boot process, after many messages are output to the console, the following message is displayed, and the boot appears delayed/hung:

[    3.270764] random: crng init done

After that time, the USB devices (keyboard and mouse) will regulary disconnect/reconnect after some number of minutes pass.

The boot never finishes.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do in my Yocto configuration so I can rebake and not experience this problem?

Booting my system with the regular raspberrypi /linux kernel completes OK and finishes with an X11 terminal on the HDMI.

- Steve Pavao
Korg R&D