[yocto] Generation of an image of an edited Ubuntu rootfs

Albert-Miquel wuampabaluba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 06:42:37 PDT 2018

Hello all,

I'm mainly a VHDL developer, although in our last project I've started
working with an embedded Linux installed in a ZYNQ from Xilinx that
combines logic with several processors.

Due to my lack of knowledge, I started using the rootfs of an embedded
ubuntu to develop the software (as described here
<https://medium.com/developments-and-implementations-on-zynq-7000-ap/install-ubuntu-16-04-lts-on-zynq-zc702-using-petalinux-2016-4-e1da902eaff7>),
since it was easier for me to install the necessary packages, while the
BOOT and other files were created with Petalinux (I did not know about
Yocto at the beginning). To sum up, the ZYNQ is running Ubuntu on one of
the processors (while the baremetal code that controls the firmware is run
on the other one). Everything is currently (and temporarily) running from
the SD card, so that the SD has two partitions, one called BOOT (containing
the files BOOT.BIN, image.ub and system.dtb), and another one with the
rootfs tree. I have been working with this scheme for a while, installing
several packages and developing some applications. Thus, rootfs has far
evolved from the initial one.

My intention now is to set SWUpdate
<https://sbabic.github.io/swupdate/swupdate.html> to remotely update all
the software everytime a new version is released, so that I should generate
an image of each of the two partitions. The problem is that I do not know
which should be the right steps to generate these images. As I understood,
Yocto can provide a clean rootfs, but I've not been able to find the way to
integrate your own rootfs. Considering the situation described here, is
there any tutorial/web/anything that could be used as a guide (for dummies)
to suitable generate the images using Yocto? Any help will be greatly
welcome.

Thank you very much in advance,

Albert