[yocto] Yocto userbase in numbers?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Aug 9 13:43:26 PDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-08-09 at 17:19 +0000, Frazer, Will wrote:
> I was asked recently what a ballpark figure for the number of systems
> running distributions built with yocto might be and I could not find
> anything.
>
> I realise it’s almost impossible to tell since technically everyone
> builds a different distro, but I don’t suppose anyone has come across
> any estimates anywhere ?

Its really hard to know. Someone did try to write a list of the
companies using the project based on mailing list questions, bugzilla
and job adverts and the list was over 700 companies and growing. Some
of the companies are large and have significant numbers of devices in
the field.

Even if you just look at the fields the project is used in based on the
project's members like Comcast, the automotive industry (e.g.
Automotive Grade Linux), several major OS vendors (Windriver, Mentor
Graphics, Montavista, ENEA) and in TVs (LG), the deployment of the
project is significant. How many devices any of those companies ship
based on Yocto Project derived Linux would be an interesting number to
try and work out. Its very much an iceberg, you only see part of it...

Cheers,

Richard