[yocto] Linux Files needed for PXE network boot

Raymond Yeung rksyeung at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 22:23:54 PDT 2018

Thanks for all who extended helping hands.  I finally resolved my issues, and the target PXE-boot'ed up.  I'd like to provide some updates, for reference to someone that may run into this in the future.

I'm able to use legacy mode (in BIOS) instead of UEFI mode.  While I haven't worked out the canonical form, it seems two things are important on BIOS side - there are a number of options that have UEFI vs. legacy choices.  Select "legacy" mode for all of them.  This is in the "CSM & Option ROM" Advanced setting.  Some of the logging options under "Event Logs" tab might have helped turned on more diagnostic messages.

After the above adjustment, the error messages on the BIOS console guided me to pick up missing files, including ldlinux.c32, libutil.c32, lib com.c32 that are not mentioned anywhere that I looked so far.

Now, I'm onto investigating how I could (re)create partitions on SSD, load the kernel there, and boot from that.

Raymond