[yocto] Usage of yocto on different (production vs debug) scenarios

Uwe Geuder jrswdnan22 at snkmail.com
Fri Apr 20 03:47:22 PDT 2018

Hi!

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Iván Castell <icastell at nayarsystems.com> wrote:

> We are trying to use yocto in a continuous integration environment with
> different (production vs debug) scenarios.
>
> To setup a given scenario (production vs debug) we are using something like
> this:
>
>     $ SCENARIO=debug
>     $ MACHINE=<machine> DISTRO=<distro>-${SCENARIO} source
> ../../build-<machine>-${SCENARIO}
>     $ bitbake <image>-${SCENARIO}
>
> So we have different image recipes:
>
>     * image-production.bb
>     * image-debug.bb
>
> Different distros:
>
>     * distro-production.conf
>     * distro-debug.conf
>
> And different build directories:
>
>     * build-<machine>-production
>     * build-<machine>-debug
>
> To optimize space usage and compilation time, we setup a shared sstate
> cache and a shared directory for downloads. This seems a good starting
> point.

Shared download, yes.

But can you share state between distros? Isn't the purpose of distros to
use different options (variable settings) so the state would always be
different?

(Please note: This is really a follow-up question, not me knowing
better. I am just trying to fully understand these concepts)

> However, things are getting complicated, because there is no way to
> exclude some recipes easily. For example, we don't want iptables
> installed on the debug image, but dependency chains include iptables
> by default

Doesn't blacklist do what you want?

E.g. in your distro-production.conf

PNBLACKLIST[iptables] = "we don't want iptables in product"

Of course if something has a hard dependency on iptables, the something
might need blacklisting instead or too.

Regards,

Uwe Geuder
Neuro Event Labs Oy