[yocto] Linux Files needed for PXE network boot

Raymond Yeung rksyeung at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:33:08 PDT 2018

I've yet to receive any response to my post below.  I've gone through fair amount of experimentation to get my board downloaded successfully the first-stage boot loader.  I'd tried pxelinux.0 for legacy BIOS and bootx64.efi (also generated in build process) to work with UEFI on client side.  However, no luck going any further so far.  Debugging the client side is rather cryptic (black box).

I'm just wondering if it's because of a missing kick-start file (ks.conf)?  I've tried "kernel images/<kernel>.hddimg" (was careful in specifying the path relative /tftpboot root directory), also bzImage.bin, and the combo of vmlinuz + initrd files.  Neither one of the works so far.  When I tried UEFI with bootx64.efi, the client side stops at GRUB, complaining "error: no such device: ()/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg."  When I tried legacy BIOS with pxelinux.0, I got "PXE-E16: No offer received.  ERROR: Boot option loading failed".

Any idea anyone?