[yocto] How to set MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS under my custom layer

ah wan la ah_wan_la at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 01:37:31 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I am trying to add kernel modules to rootfs.
I tried adding configuration  MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS_append =
" kernel-module-module1" into <machine-name>.conf  is OK, module1 get
installed.
I also tried adding same configuration into build/conf/local.conf also OK,
module1 get installed.
But my final goal is to get this customization into my custom layer, eg.
under meta-custom.
I tried to create core-image-minimal.bbappend and add this
MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS_append  but module1 is not installed
into the rootfs.
I checked environment with bitbake -e core-image-minimal and found that
the  MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS did append with kernel-module-module1
but somehow it still not getting installed.
May I know the correct way to set MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS under
my custom layer?
For some other dependencies I have to remain using the same machine name
and therefore cannot create a new custom machine config (correct me on this
if wrong).

Thank you.

Regards,
Ahwan