[yocto] pulseaudio without x11

Sherif Omran sherifomran2000 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 23:03:03 PDT 2018

I have the same issue here, where i need to run pulseaudio without x11.
My setup in yocto, is a follows, it compiles fine but dbus has a problem :

IMAGE_INSTALL_append= " pulseaudio-server libpulsecore sbc
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-discover pulseaudio-module-bluez5-device
pulseaudio-module-bluez5-discover pulseaudio-module-loopback
pulseaudio-module-rtp-send pulseaudio-module-rtp-recv
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-policy pulseaudio-misc python dbus gconf
glib-2.0 pulseaudio-module-alsa-card pulseaudio-module-alsa-source
pulseaudio-module-alsa-sink pulseaudio-module-cli libasound libcap libgcc
libltdl liborc-0.4-0 libpulse libsndfile1 libstdc++ libtdb libudev
alsa-utils alsa-utils-speakertest pulseaudio-module-dbus-protocol"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append += " pulseaudiostart "
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = " x11 "

when i start pulseaudio --system, i get
Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported : using
x11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your
DBUS_Session_BUS_Address instead.

i could launch dbus and get the address but how to set the session address
? or how to bypass it ?

if i use,  "system-instance=yes", i don't get this issue but then i am not
sure that pulseaudio started correctly.