[yocto] advice on recipe for shared lib mDNSResponder

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Sep 28 18:14:12 PDT 2017

On Friday, 29 September 2017 1:44:13 PM NZDT Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Paul Eggleton
> > <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Steve,

> >> FYI the meta-intel-iot-middleware repository is no longer being actively
> >> maintained, however coincidentally I am currently in the process of updating
> >> and moving the useful pieces elsewhere. mdns wasn't on my list, however I have
> >> just tried to fix it up, here is what I have so far:
> >>
> >> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-iot-middleware/commit/?h=paule/mdns-upgrade-1&id=7389dd6b1d3e69a05b8fa62673ba03b2a91073ff
> >>
> >> Unfortunately I hit a linking issue - the dns-sd binary gets linked to the
> >> unversioned libdns_sd.so symlink,
> >
> > If the lib isn't versioned, what does the symlink point to?
>
> OK, so the lib is versioned (ie there is a libdns_sd.so.1 which the
> symlink points to) but the problem is that libdns_sd.so.1 doesn't set
> a soname. Fix would be to add:
>
>   -Wl,-soname,libdns_sd.so.1

That did the trick. I'm ashamed to say that despite years of working on
recipes I had yet to delve into this particular area, so thanks for filling in
a gap in my knowledge.

I've pushed a new commit:

  http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-iot-middleware/commit/?h=paule/mdns-upgrade-1&id=fab9ceda3d748e66d0273b08a4e6f7fa427763ea

Cheers,