[yocto] Errors building with Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Thu Sep 28 06:28:56 PDT 2017

Ross,

From: Burton, Ross [mailto:ross.burton at intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:43 PM
To: Bryan Evenson <bevenson at melinkcorp.com>
Cc: yocto at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] Errors building with Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)

On 27 September 2017 at 21:59, Bryan Evenson <bevenson at melinkcorp.com<mailto:bevenson at melinkcorp.com>> wrote:

I think I found the problem.  I started looking at more file properties for the files that worked and the ones that didn’t, and I noticed that all the ones that failed show a link count of 1024.  The Windows filesystem has a link limit of 1023 links per file (at least as reported here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363860(v=vs.85).aspx), so I think the hard link is failing due to the Windows link limit.  If that is the case, then I don’t think it’ll be a quick fix to get a working solution under WSL.

That link count doesn't seem feasible though...  we hardlink frequently during a recipe build, but I'd expect to see 10 links, not over a thousand.  You've definitely found the problem, just need to figure out what is causing such excessive linking,

Two files, LC_MEASUREMENT and LC_PAPER, seem to be identical through most the locales.  I’m not sure which are copies and which are hard links, but I did a md5sum comparison and found over 1200 identical LC_MEASUREMENT files in the glibc-locale working directory.  I don’t need all the locales, so I set GLIBC_GENERATE_LOCALES = "en_GB.UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8" in my local.conf and now glibc-locale completes building.

I’ll report back if the rest of the build completes.

Bryan