[yocto] Errors building with Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)

Josef Holzmayr holzmayr at rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Tue Sep 26 13:31:49 PDT 2017

Hi Bryan,

On 26.09.2017 19:16, Bryan Evenson wrote:
> Due to what our IT department can support, I am issued a Windows laptop for development.  In the past I have used VMWare to make a Linux virtual machine for my Yocto Project based image builds and application development.  We are starting to get Windows 10 laptops so I am evaluating doing my builds using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) by building a poky/morty image.  Overall it seems to be working.  I've had an issue that I've worked through and other issues that I'm not quite sure what is going on.

There's obviously a lot of stuff that the WSL does not support (yet)
which is often filesystems or API limitations. I ran into a list of
things that they officially marked as known good/bad, but I can't find
it right now. If it shows up again, I'll forward it. For the time being,
I think you might be better off looking at CROPS [1] which is the
"offical" recommendation to buld on Windows/OSX, as far as I can see.

Greetz

[1] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TipsAndTricks/CropsCLIContainers

--
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548