[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] enable serial communication pi 3

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Thu Sep 14 06:11:22 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Ayoub Zaki <ayoub.zaki at embexus.com> wrote:

> On 13.09.2017 19:55, Khem Raj wrote:
>

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Ayoub Zaki <ayoub.zaki at embexus.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I ran into the same problem:
>>
>> ENABLE_UART = "1" is not enough you should also add INSTALL_append= "
>> rpi-config" to your local.conf and Serial port will be enabled.
>>

> ​this should be automatically pulled in if you built a sdcard image.​
>
> I'm using Wic so it does not work unless I extend the machine config with :
> MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += " bcm2835-bootfiles rpi-config"

That is correct. It is because the sdcard generation class includes this
dependency when building an sdcard.

BTW: bcm2835-bootfiles depends on rpi-config.

About wic, this sounds like an issue anyway. wic uses IMAGE_BOOT_FILES.
This variable includes the blobs provided by bcm28350-bootfiles and, in the
same place, the config gets deployed (due to the dependency above). But in
the wic case nobody triggers the compilation of these packages making wic
to just ignore that specific entry in IMAGE_BOOT_FILES. This sounds like a
bug to me.

If you agree could you create an issue in github and maybe help us fix it
as well? At this point I think bcm2835-bootfiles should be
a MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS.

--
Andrei Gherzan